Monday, January 22, 2007

I don't even know what to title this one

It' official. I am oficially another year older. Another year closer to 30. And another year closer to insanity.

On a cold winter morning in January, exactly 28 years, 2 hours and 6 minutes ago, a little bundle of joy was born. Coming into a family of a writer father, a college coed and a 7 year old sister, Malintzin (no middle name) Olvera began her life. With big brown eyes and a full head of black spiky hair, I won everyone over. Not much different from today.

But really...I wonder what my parents and sister must think of me now. Not knowing what was in store for my life. Not knowing how I would turn out. I know I wonder the same thing about my kitties. Maybe they did. Growing up, my nieghborhood nickname was "Tornado". True story. I was blunt, outspoken, loved to wear dresses while climbing trees, loved to roller skate and mos def got my way the majority of the time. Sound familiar?

It has been quite a ride, this life of mine, that's for sure. And, for the most part, I've enjoyed almost every minute. Even the bad ones. After all, you have to gain life experience somehow, right.

Old timer's disease isn't the right phrase, but it's the first that comes to mind.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday to you, happy birthday to you, happy birthday dear mijita - happy birthday to you, and many more on Channel 4 - con mucho amor! Hi, baby, this is your old dad just writing to wish you a very happy birthday. 28, huh? My, you are getting up there, aren't you? But, of course, you'll always be my little mamas, someone whom I've loved with all my heart from the very first moment when I caught you as you were sliding out of your mother's womb. I always told you that I was the first one to know that you were a little girl. You would look at me with those innocent, beautiful eyes and you said: "How did you know I was a little girl, daddy? Was I wearing tiny earrings?" And, I would say, "yes, baby, you were wearing tiny earrings." You are so beautiful and I love you so much. I think of you all the time, especially lately. Are you okay, mamas? I get a kick out of your blog - so different from Nila's, but them, you two are very different. I always used to say that Nila was going to be autographing her latest book of poetry, while you would be out exploring Jupiter or Mars. You're tougher than Nila in some ways, and she's tougher than you in others. But, I'm so glad that you both still love each other and that you're still there for each other. As your dad, I try to be there for you too, but it's not always the way I want it to be. Anyway, I love you both the same. Yet, there's a little something in you that just makes me so proud to be your daddy. I love you, mija - enjoy your day. I understand you already had your party. How many more birthdays am I going to miss? Oh, well. Long-distance father-daughter love is alive and well in El Paso and Mesa. I love you, mamas.

Daddy