Tuesday, January 09, 2007

And away I go

We're taking off to El Paso tomorrow. I haven't been back there for about 2, maybe, 3 years. It should be interesting. I'll get to see hundreds of my cousins that I haven't seen for a while. Though the reason we're meeting up is a sad one.

So, the way the whole Mexican/Catholic funerals go is first we have a rosary. Basically, it's a mass service where everybody cries and where I, at this particular one, have to read my poem in front of everybody.
It's all about sending the departed off to heaven...basically talking them up to the man upstairs so they can get into the Gates of Heaven. You can imagine how much fun that will be for me being that I never go to church or believe in all that mumbo jumbo. But that's ok, I'll get over it. After the service, it's off to drink cervezas and party it up like we Mexicans know how to do.

The next day is the actual funeral/burial. There's another mass with the body in an open casket in the front for the viewing throughout the whole service. I'm used to it, but most people think it's pretty creepy. Meh. Then comes more cerveza, music and, if we're drunk enough, dancing.

So that's going to be my next few days in a nutshell.

Well, with nothing really clever or witty to say, I'll end this here. Fairly out of it, I took a nap at about 5 this evening and upon waking at 7, I was under the delusion that it was tomorrow morning and I was freaking out for about 15 minutes. I'm smart like that.

Take a few drinks. A couple pills. Repeat.

No comments: