Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Urban legends: myth or reality

Today as the princess got into the car, she asked me about Bloody Mary. I'm sure there is no explanation needed as to who or what Bloody Mary is...but just in case. Legend has it that she was a murderous witch who was burned at the stake. Another variation is that she was a housewife who murdered her own children. There are a few more different stories as to her origins. I don't think anyone really knows.

The story goes if you stand in a dark room in front of a mirror and say "Bloody Mary" 3 times, she'll appear and scratch your face off. There are other rituals to summoning her, but I've only ever tried the one ritual. So when the princess brought it up, I was intrigued. I don't think I even knew about the myth until I was at least 8. She's only 6. She told me that she went into the bathroom by the playground at recess, with two of her friends...to protect her, of course...and recited the frightening words. She looked at me wide eyed as she recounted the events leading up to her decision to risk her life. I couldn't help but laugh because she was saying it in such a tone, trying to scare me no doubt. Oh that one, she's a pistol.

I told her we would look it up on the computer when we got home. So we did and I read to her all the variations of the stories of Bloody Mary. Now she's scared shitless. She didn't want to leave the corner of my bed. I kind of take a sick pleasure in their fear. Call me evil. Or call me a person. I mean, what's the point of having kids if you can't enjoy yourself from the hustle and bustle of everyday life once in a while. I'm just sayin'.

No comments: