Monday, November 12, 2007

Fashion Fascism at its best

There is nothing more I love than watching Style tv. Such shows as Clean House, Hot guys that cook, Split ends, How do I look? and so much more. One of my favorites though, has to be How Do I Look?. Finola Hughs helps poor fashion retarded people find a better look along with "accomplices". The accomplices are two friends, family members or a mix of both, along with a guest "fashion expert". The accomplices go through the fashion victims closet and pick out their worst clothes to throw out, but not before they basically rip the victim a new one about how they dressed before. More times than not, tears ensue. After the emotions fly, the accomplices go shopping and pick out three complete outfits for the victim to try and pick, along with a new hair do and make-up.

I have seen A LOT of bad dressers on that show. But today, as I watch, I can't help but feel a little enraged at how the accomplices are treating their victim. Today, we have a young, hip mom who is stuck in her "punk" dressing ways. She's a new wife and mom,as well as fully involved in her church. The accomplices are her mom, husband and some random "fashion expert" I've never heard of. Her moms little speech on why she doesn't want her dressing that way anymore wasn't too bad. I mean, typical mom "I don't want you to have your own style, I want you to dress like me" lecture. But the husband. He told her she turns him off by the way she dresses. Um, seems like she doesn't turn him off THAT much being that he married her and knew when he proposed she spend the rest of her life with him that her style was different, 1. and 2. he had sex with her to get a baby. The fashion victim had her own style, and while it could have used a little more maturity, I didn't see her dressing that badly. Usually the fashion victims dress bad. This time, it seemed to me that it was basically a "I don't like your original style so I'm going to make you look like everyone else" style change. I guess this hits a little close to home, not that any of my family members and/or friends have ever expressed distaste for my style (besides my piercings).

Another thing that annoyed me about this episode...they tossed out her whole wardrobe. Even all of her Chuck Taylors. All these clothes thrown out, only to be replaced with only three, count them, THREE outfits. How fucked up is that. Usually, only a few select items are tossed...not this time. In my own humble opinion, I believe that some people do need such fashion help as being embarassed on national television for the way that they dress, but this time, this time I think it was a little harsh and just trying to turn someone into something they're not. I'm not sayin', I'm just sayin'.

What I don't get is why can't people just accept us for who we are? I know that there are a lot of prejudices out in the "real" world, I'm a target for a lot of those. But does that mean we have to conform to sombody's idea of what normal, sexy or pretty is?

One Saturday morning, after my nephew's volleyball game, I was waiting for my sister to finish her conversation with the other moms when I saw an old lady who looked like what I imagine Paris Hilton will look like when she's 80. This lady was no where near 80 years old, but her skin was so tanned, yellowed and leathery that she looked 20 years her actual age. Dressed in a black velour track suit with Juicy emblazoned across her ass with bleached blonde hair so high she could give Amy Winehouse a run for her money and so much make-up spackled on her face she could open her own department store make-up counter. I don't understand how she can look in the mirror and think she looks good. Oh, I forgot about the overly big fake boobs. But who am I to judge. That's her style and how she prefers to present herself, so be it. She didn't feel the same about me. As she walked by cackling with her friend, she happened to glance at me and gave me the worst look of disgust I have ever gotten from anyone in my entire life. I was modestly dressed in jeans and a t-shirt. My hair though, and my jewelry and tattoos, that attracts the most attention. So I'm used to it. My sister was appalled. I just laughed it off. Society just teaches us as a whole to scoff at differences.

Well, what can you do? Maybe unconditionally love the person you marry or birthed no matter how they dress...I mean, of course unless they dress like hookers...but I'm just sayin'.

No comments: