Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Some people just shouldn't breed

Another child dies in a car. In breaking news today, a mother of a 17 month old boy followed her usual routine on her way to work at a local Hooters...the only difference is that this time, she forgot to drop the baby off at daycare.

On the one hand, I feel bad for this woman. I can't even begin to imagine what it's like to loose a child, and I hope I never have to feel that pain. On the other hand, how could you be so irresponsible as to leave your kid locked in a car for a whole shift at Hooters?! I'm not just passing blind judgement, trust me, I know the trials and tribulations of being a young, single mother. I have two kids and a "double", extremely busy life. Once a mother, its not hard to become scatter-brained. Especially while trying to juggle jobs, homelife and a baby. But come on. NO ONE can be that absent minded as to leave their child in a car for a whole Hooters waitressing shift.

I STILL to this day, check the backseat of the car before getting out. My youngest is 6. And boy, am I always running on Chicano time. I'm always late, to everything, have to run between mine and the ex's house to cart them to and from school...I pretty much live in my car. Much more so when I'm in school. However, I always manage to SOMEHOW get my kids to where they need to go no matter how late I'm running. Or how many things are on my mind. Even when I was a typical teenage mom. Trying to balance a new baby, new marriage and working a full-time job so the ex could finish high school. The concept of running around like a chicken with its head cut off is not lost on me.

Sometimes I just think that some people should not reproduce. Sterilization may not be the perfect solution, but it's the first that comes to mind.

No comments: