Thursday, July 05, 2007

A funny thing happened to me on the way to adulthood

The genius just turned 10 on Monday. You know you're getting old when you have a ten year old. It's really weirding me out. I know I'm almost 30, but I never in the planning of my life did I imagine myself having a kid who's almost taller than me and who's going to hit puberty soon. Weird.

Me, the woman-child, with a kid in the double digits. I guess there are weirder things. I still remember the day he was born. My water broke at about 5:30 am and we headed to the hospital. The ex was disappointed because he didn't have to rush. He really wanted a movie moment where we speed race through red lights and such to get to the hospital. No such luck.

That day was probably one of the worst and one of the best days of my life. One of the worst because it was the most excruciating pain I'd ever felt...EVER. Ladies, if anyone ever tries to tell you it doesn't hurt, they're lying. It pretty much feels like your vajayjay is on fire and your insides are being ripped apart from within. I screamed bloody murder. And I'd never hated the ex more for putting me in such a horrendous situation. But when it was all over and I got to hold my huge 9 pound 7 ounce baby, it all seemed worth it...for a minute. Then the memories of the pain wash over you again. I still have flashbacks. It's like I was in 'nam.

But now here we are. A weird, giant kid whom most people think is my little brother, ten years later. It's weird to see him growing up. I wonder what he'll be like 10 years from now. I wonder if my parents were as weirded out by me growing up. It's all just weird.

Think I've overused the word 'weird'? Ya, me neither.

3 comments:

Meemo said...

You're pretty weird, so of course your son would be weird and it's weird that he's so old and tall and he's so weird. And your mama is weird too.

I can't belive your a mama either. But I think at this point it would stop being weird and it would just be reality. Snap out of it girl, you're a motha. And you're getting old. Ha ha.

Anonymous said...

I found your blog through Crazy Hip Mama Blogs... love it!!

You are a great writer... will be stopping by often!!

- Audrey
Pinks & Blues Girls

Bliss said...

i thought it was more like tryna sh*t out a mack truck but maybe my baby just had a big head.