Monday, July 30, 2007

My 15 seconds of rock stardom

Last Thursday, I decided that I wanted to hang out with the wife before she ditched me yet again to go to Vegas. I only wanted to go out for a minute and have one, MAYBE two beers. Usually when I say that, I end up getting shitfaced and staying out way too late. I think you can see where this is going.

I though we were going to hip up Jupes or Pub n Grub, a couple of our usual haunts. I got the text that we were heading to O'Kelleys. My karaoke haven. I've gotten to the point now where I can sing without having drank a lot first. I sang my first of the night...Patsy Cline's Walkin' after midnight. Next was Billy Ocean, which was more of a fun song being that Lornzilla and I barely knew the words. As I was waiting for my next song, the dj made an announcement. O'Kelleys was holding a karaoke contest. I pshawed...there's no way I'm good enough to win a contest...especially since I currently sound like a tranny, what with my consistently deepening voice. Then she announced the grand prize. An all expenses paid trip to Cabo. F'n F'yeah. I entered. It's an 8 week dealio, but I wasn't paying attention, so that's about all I heard. I submitted my contest song, Belinda Carlisle's Heaven is a place on earth. I was first on the list. Angela told me I needed to engage the crowd, but I just started singing by myself and can only have fun with the crowd while drunk. One shot of liquid courage please. I sang my little heart out. 11 other singers later, she announced the winner. You guessed it, me. Lil ole' me won the karaoke contest!

Needless to say, I was pretty stoked. Watch out for the Mal world tour, coming to a town near you.

No comments: