Saturday, June 30, 2007

The ick factor

I'm house sitting for my sister this weekend. She has 5 dogs (two of which went camping with her) and I have to take care of them and their fish and their turtle.

So I arrive at her place tonight after an especially busy third day of work. I ran through the house to let the poor little guys out back (before taking off my shoes...don't tell her it's a secret).

After a few minutes I got up to let them back in. No one is allowed to wear shoes in her house. So there are a couple pair of their crocs at the entrance to the dog room. I put my left foot in one of the brother-in-laws' crocs. Next came the right foot. As I was stepping in, I felt something tickle my foot. Thinking it might be a hair or something similar I shook my foot...you know, to shake it off. I then felt the "hair" tickle up my ankle. I look down and see nothing, so I keep shaking my foot. It crawls up my leg. I frantically convulse my leg to shake off whatever is causing my panic. I feel wings flutter. Finally, it's off. I look down and see it. A big. Huge. Cockroach. It was the ick heard round the world.

I didn't know what to do. I absolutely HATE...and I mean hate with a fiery passion...cockroaches. The are disgusting little freaks of nature. Usually I make the closest boy kill it for me. But alas, I am all alone. I jumped up and down for a second or two trying to decide what to do. I decided I had to take action because there was no way I was going to be able to sleep with such a creature in the same house as me. I picked up a croc and very quickly, very forcefully smashed the roach.

I slowly lifted the shoe to make sure that I had, indeed, successfully killed it. It was smooshed to the ground. Although creepily enough still moving it's little head and antanae. I strategically placed the shoe back over the remains. There is no way I'm cleaning it up. I guess I'm just going to have to find a big, strong man to clean it up for me. Helpless isn't the right word, but it's the first that comes to mind.

2 comments:

Diane said...

I am officially grossed out! Cockroaches and crickets are enough to send me into shock.

Meemo said...

Don't be telling people about my cocaroaches. The peoples are gonna think that I'm a slob. Cucarachas are a desert curse, they come up the drains and crap. We usually find them dead because of the poison we've been having to spray.

You think your experience was bad. This one time, at Uncle Efrain's house, I went to put on my bathing suit which had been on the floor, being that I was such a lazy kid. Well, that tickle you felt on your foot, I felt on my vayjayjay. The cocaroach was in my bikini bottom. Talk about freaky.