Monday, July 17, 2006

No longer waiting for the 2nd shoe to drop

A funny thing happened on the way home from work today. At least for my mom. As she was turning east onto Rio Salado from McClintock, some asshole ran the red light and smashed into her. She was driving my car...it spun out of control...the engine caught on fire...the driver jumped out of the car and ran.

So, she's ok. For now, she's in the hospital with a fractured ankle, not to mention pretty bruised and shaken up. And a bit morphined up, since she's in a lot of pain.

Once the car stopped spinning, it stopped, but then the engine caught on fire and she was having trouble getting out of the car. A woman appeared and helped her out to safety. The asshole ran, but some bystanders ran after him, tackled him to the ground and restrained him til the cops got there. He had no license, no insurance and it wasn't even his car.

I was on the phone with an old friend with whom I hadn't spoken with for months. My mom called on the other line and I ignored it figuring she was just calling to tell me she was on her way home or something less important (I'm an asshole...I know this). I got off the phone with my friend and called my weasel beacause he had called me first. While trying to figure out whether I was to stay with him or him with me, my mom rang in on the other line again. I figured I'd answer since it might be important.

"Hellooooooo!!"
*man's voice* "Can I speak with Mal?"
*confused* "This is her."
"This is officer so and so from the Tempe police department."
"OH MY GAWD!! OH MY GAWD!! WHAT HAPPENE??!!"
"She's allright, but your mom's been in an accident. The ambulance is taking her to Scottsdale hospital."

Then just a bunch of blah blah blah because by that time I couldn't hear what he was saying and I was hurrying to get dressed. Needless to say I was pretty freaked.

Currently she's in the hospital and she's doing good, considering. We'll bring her home tomorrow. But not before I go see what's left of my car and gather my shit that was in there, like my skates, etc. The cop said they couldn't even close the doors and the windows are all shattered.

When it rains, it pours. That's for damn sure.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Glad your mom is okay. And I hope you have insurance on your car. That really sucks.