Wednesday, January 02, 2008

New year, old gripes

One thing I hate the most that had to happen to me today, the second day of the new year, is when random dudes off the street ask me to let them fix the dent in my car for a small fee.

Here's the thing...even if I HAD money to spare to fix my car, I'd do it in a reputable car shop...not in the parking lot of a local Circle K. You may think its convenient and you're helping me out, but in my opinion, you're just shady. Especially when I kindly reject your question of, "Do you ever plan to fix that ding in your car?" No a-hole, I was planning on having a dent in my car for the rest of my life. Turns out, there ARE dumb questions. After I kindly rejected his offer by offering that I have no money, but thank you, I left my car to go inside and pay for my gas...but before I made it in, the shady dude pulled up IN FRONT OF ME and blocked the entrance..."Hey ma'am, I'll fix it for you for $100 bucks on the spot!" Being that I may be a huge bitch and pretty mean at times, I'm pretty much real shy and unconfrontational to strangers. I really wanted to tell the guy to leave me alone because him bugging me to let him undent my car would be like me spotting a lady with real bad hair, walking up to her and asking her if I could do her hair. Of course I'd give her a deal. $50 bucks, right here on the spot. I have my shears in the car, who cares if I'm parked in front of McDonalds.

What I thought in my mind and what actually came out of my mouth apparently warranted dirty looks from the men in the truck. As though I were lying about the $10 to my name that I was using for gas. Just leave me alone people. I do NOT want you to fix my dent at Circle K, I do NOT want you to cut me a deal because I told you I don't have money. When I say I don't have money, I really mean I don't have money. I don't mean that I have a couple of extra hundred bucks laying around. Usually what I say, I mean. I may be a girl, but I don't generally have underlying meanings when I say something. I do NOT expect you to read my mind. I appreciate the fact that you are trying to lead a respectable life by running your own business, but leave me along. I don't want your street business. Maybe next time I'll be able to just say all that instead of being polite.

Politeness may be my downfall. Happy New Year to me.

No comments: