Tuesday, April 01, 2008

Adventures in Horrorland, not to be confused with Whoreland

So amongst everything else going on in my sometimes understimulating, sometimes over exhausting life, my internet has been kaput so I have not had any sort of access to the outside world...otherwise known as Myspace.

Not too much has happened lately. Besides working two jobs, living out of my car and being way too tired to even go out and drink (the alcoholic withdrawals are harsh), things have been pretty meh...yeah, just meh. You know, aside from the occasional road rage or dealing with old ladies, Scottsdale snobs and the general public at my Sally's job. Today though, was stellar. I only worked at Sally's today, so I didn't want to kill myself to get some rest at the end of the day. While there, I always get comments on my multiple piercings and tattoos, but todays comment was by far the weirdest. A crotchety, old, hunched over lady came in looking for a mirror. I pointed her to the aisle and took my place back behind the cash register. She came up with her purchase and as I was ringing her up and putting her stuff in a bag when I heard a meek little voice speak. This is the conversation which ensued:

Crotchety old lady: "You look awful."

I slowly look up in disbelief and say, "Oh...because of my tattoos?"

Crotchety old lady: "Because of your tattoos, your piercings, everything! It makes me sick. It just hurts me that you would do that. It makes me want to cry."

I was in complete and utter awe and shock at what this teeny little white haired version of the crypt keeper was telling me. I didn't say anything to her since I had been rendered speechless. But I'm pretty sure the sassy, gay Mexican I work with smart mouthed her when she told him our music, which was a Rolling Stones song on the radio, "was horrible."

You know she's one of those people that dislikes "those darkies" and "dem wetbacks." Crazy white lady.

No comments: