Tuesday, September 18, 2007

I'm not sayin', I'm just sayin'

I'm not one to call myself a feminist in any way, shape or form, but sometimes there are some issues which I feel need attention. In some past and recent events, there has been argument over whether breast feeding is "obscene" or not. OBSCENE. In the recent past MySpace itself has deleted a users pictures of her breastfeeding claiming obscenity. Most recently, this has been an issue with Facebook.

I normally am not one to want to sit and watch a mom sit with a baby stuck to her tit. But I wouldn't call it obscene. It's a natural part of life. No, I'm not saying everyone has to enjoy it, in fact, a lot of women choose NOT to breast feed their babies, in large part, due to ickiness. My best friend, for example, chose not to nurse for that reason exactly. I, on the other hand, took the other road for the reason that I believed that would be the best nutrition for the princess in her first nine months of life. That's not to say I did it in public because I also alternated with a bottle, but I am not opposed to other women making that choice.

I just think its ridiculous that on an almost tri-weekly basis I get accosted by men whose Myspace profiles hold the "requisite" penis picture asking me to do naughty things to them, yet a woman can't have a picture on her personal "space" of her doing something natural. Literally. Icky or not, women HAD to breast feed their offspring in the beginning. They didn't have the luxuries we women now have today...breast pumps, formula, bottles, wet nurses...how do we think we were actually nourished 100 years ago.

The ironic thing about all this is that Facebook is host to approximately 350 pro-ana groups. For those of you that don't know, pro-ana is a community in support of anorexia nervosa. How can we conciously house the idea that females and males (yes, there are male anorexics), young and old alike should purposely destroy their bodies in the name of "skeletalism" while we are calling the nourishment of a baby "obscene"?

In this young mothers' humble opinion, society needs to take some time and let the ridiculousness of some issues marinate in its collective minds. Step one to a societal utopia (so to speak): grow up.

**Edit** One thing I forgot to mention about the whole "obscene breast feeding" debacle...We use women in obectifying ways to sell products for the sake of consumerism. Tits are for selling, not for feeding babies. Go figure.

1 comment:

Nanners said...

How dare women use their breasts for nourishing their children! Don't they know they're just for decoration?