Monday, October 27, 2008

A few things

Just a little word about what's been going on in my salon, in my head and just all around me. Not necessarily in that order.

1. So Saturday, I'm having a good day. Non-stop clients, big tips, I was on my comedy game, when it happened. She walked in. Every stylist knows what I'm talking about. That girl. She was about 14 going to her first homecoming dance. And a cheerleader. I normally love styling hair, shit I practically do it every other weekend for Kendra. So anyway, she tells me what she wants done. Curled hair, half up with a pouf but not too formal. I can already tell she's going to be a pain because as I'm curling her hair, she keeps trying to look at herself in the mirror. You shouldn't move your head too much when someone has a 400 degree ceramic rod inches from your face. I'm getting more and more annoyed as her face gets more and more worried. I pride myself on my styling abilities, but there's always that one person that just fucks your world. Her two little friends that were with her were done, I'm trying to finish through her head turning and fidgeting when I just get to the point where I just don't give a shit anymore. Finally I'm done. I take one look at her in the mirror and her little brace face is scrunched up like she's about to cry. "You don't like it?" I say to her and all she can do is shake her head no. One of the moms hears me and comes over to tell her she's crazy since her hair looks great (duh), while she's still trying not to cry. I ask her what it is that she doesn't like about her hair and she doesn't answer me. At the point I'm just irritated. I'm pretty sure I'm pms'ing, my blood sugar was low and I was too tired to deal with a spoiled little brat who was being coddled by her friends. I contemplate charging her less since she wasn't satisfied, but decided against it since I knew she wouldn't tip me and for my pain and suffering. She leaves, I sit my ass down to eat something, anything, when I get another haircut. I just don't really want to do it. I ask to pass on it, but the stylist who it went to complained about it, so I said fuck it and agreed to take it. As I was cleaning my station getting ready, I could feel the tears coming on. I'm just pissed. I go to the bathroom to pull myself together. I hate crying, though I do it often, especially in front of people. Like I said, it just takes one person to fuck my whole world.

2. I happened to catch a show about women who collect life like baby dolls. This struck me as quite odd when I remembered a woman I'd met when I was about 18 and worked at a little thrift store in Mesa. She would come in carrying a doll, which upon first inspection looked like a real baby. She would buy an outfit or two for her (her name was Emily, by the way. the baby, not the woman), toys and actually drove with the "baby" in a baby carseat. Crazy or sad? It's hard to tell.

3. I totally forgot what my third point was. It's what happens when I'm writing and watching tv at the same time. Like my sister says, it was probably una mentira.

I should probably go to sleep now, I'm seriously sleep deprived and not so beautiful lately as a result. Man, closing in on your 30's and not enough sleep is real bad for the skin. And the mentality.

No comments: